An application I am developing contains something like the following:

$this->socket = fsockopen($server, $port, $errnum, $errstr, "60");
while (!feof($this->socket)) {

    $char = fgets($this->socket,1);

    if (($char == "\n") || ($char == "\r"))
        return $buffer;
    }
    $buffer .= $char;
}
return $buffer;

This works fine upto php-4.2.x. However, I've recently built and
installed php-4.3.0pre2 and now the above code appears to hang.

Substituting fread in place of fgets solves the problem. I know that
fgets is supposed to be 'binary safe' as of php-4.3 but I'm not sure if
this could be causing the above problem.

Does anyone know of any changes to fgets in php-4.3.0 which might be
causing this? Are there any reasons why I should not use fread instead
of fgets here?

Also, I am looking at using something like:

$status = socket_get_status($this->socket);
if ($status["unread_bytes"] <= 0)
    return false;

However, $status["unread_bytes"] always returns 0 until the first call
to fgets($this->socket). Is this right? I'd like to check the status of
the socket before I try to read from it.

Thanks,

Stephen Grier