You can't disable functions in your httpd.conf.  That particular directive
is probably the only one that is server-wide and can only be set in your
php.ini file.  The reason is that it is too expensive to disable and
re-enabled functions on a per-request basis which is what we would need to
do if we allowed you to set it per-dir or per-vhost.

-Rasmus