well,

a) use a table in the DB with the primary key (id) as an auto-increment
column. 1, 2, 3 etc.  Use this ID as the name of the file 1.jpg, 2.gif, and
perhaps store the filetype / extension as well, so that you know what
filename to look for in the folder.

b) something as simple as file_exists() may be enough... if a file with that
name already exists, you could append something to it, like a random number,
and try again.

Ypu certainly don't have to ask the user to rename the file... YOU should be
in charge of naming it.

Justin

on 05/12/02 3:48 AM, Davíð Örn Jóhannsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I have a situation where I allow users to upload images, and I store the
> names of the images in a database and the images  I store in a some
> folder on the server, but what I would like to do is to dynamically
> create names for the images and dont ever have to worry about if this
> name exists and with out having to got to the trouble of asking the user
> to change tha name of the file.
>
> So dose some one have a nice litle solution for this problem.
>
> Thanks, David

Justin French