Thanks very much John :)

John Nichel wrote:
It probably wouldn't help you all that much. Since it was for my own personal use, I hardcoded directory paths and such for my personal set up. I used to do it with a shell script too (nothing fancy there either).

Just configure it again without apxs....

./configure --with-whateveroptions
make

After you compile it (no need to "make install"), the php binary will be in your php source directory (named "php")...just move it to where ever you want too (I keep mine in /usr/bin).

I'll post my old shell script now, but I don't have access to the Perl script until tomorrow morning at work. I'll send it out then. They're both very static, so you would have to change quite a few items for your needs.

--Shell Script--

#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/local/src/tar_files
mv *.tar ../
cd ../
tar -xvf apache_1.3.26.tar
tar -xvf php-4.2.3.tar
tar -xvf mod_perl-1.0-current.tar
mv *.tar tar_files
cd apache_1.3.26
./configure --prefix=/webserver/server
cd ../php-4.2.3
./configure \
--with-apache=../apache_1.3.26 \
--with-mysql \
--disable-pear \
--enable-calendar \
--with-config-file-path=/webserver/server/config \
--enable-ftp \
--enable-sockets \
--enable-wddx \
--with-pspell \
--with-iconv
make
make install
cd ../mod_perl-1.27
perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.26/src \
DO_HTTPD=1 \
USE_APACI=1 \
EVERYTHING=1 \
APACI_ARGS='--prefix=/webserver/server \
--bindir=/webserver/server/bin \
--sbindir=/webserver/server/sbin \
--libexecdir=/webserver/server/lib \
--sysconfdir=/webserver/server/config \
--iconsdir=/webserver/docs/vhosts/backup/images/apache_icons \
--htdocsdir=/webserver/docs/vhosts/backup \
--manualdir=/webserver/docs/vhosts/backup/rtfm/apache \
--cgidir=/webserver/docs/vhosts/backup/cgi-bin \
--includedir=/webserver/server/include \
--logfiledir=/webserver/server/logs \
--proxycachedir=/webserver/server/proxy \
--server-uid=apache \
--server-gid=www \
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a'
make
make install
cd ../apache_1.3.26
make install
rm -rf apache_1.3.26
rm -rf php-4.2.3
chown -R apache /webserver/server
chgrp -R www /webserver/server
chown -R apache /webserver/docs
chgrp -R www /webserver/docs
chmod -R g+w /webserver/docs
chmod -R g+w /webserver/server/config
cd /usr/local/src/tar_files
mv php-4.2.3.tar ../
cd ../
tar -xvf php-4.2.3.tar
mv php-4.2.3.tar tar_files
cd php-4.2.3
./configure \
--with-mysql \
--disable-pear \
--enable-calendar \
--with-config-file-path=/webserver/server/config \
--enable-ftp \
--enable-sockets \
--enable-wddx \
--with-pspell \
--with-iconv
make
make install

--Shell Script--

Tariq Murtaza wrote:

Hi John,

Can we share your Perl script?
I compiled with switch "--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs"
Is it that apache switch?

Thanks

Tariq

John Nichel wrote:

I went thru the same problem, so one day I just sat down, and wrote a Perl script that does the module and binary at the same time. Saved me alot of grief.

Scott Hurring wrote:

If you do it correctly, yes.

The apache module usually lives somewhere in the apache hierarchy,
whereas the 'php' binary is '/usr/bin/' or '/usr/local/bin/', so they
can quite happily co-exist.

Beware though, when upgrading one, upgrade BOTH.
It drove me nuts once when i forgot, and ended up having a
more recent command line version than apache module
and couldn't figure out why cmdline scripts were acting
differently than when served up thru apache.

--
Scott Hurring
Systems Programmer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

Can I do that using the same src I used to create the dynamic module and
both would work hapilly together?

Thanks,

Ed