> What is the meaning of "dev" in PHP-4.3-dev?

Development release, not a Production release. Its a snapshot of the
upcoming 4.3 system.

> Can I use it as a fully working PHP distribution?

No, as the name suggests its purely an insight as to where the development
is up to at this point in time. Although it is recommended that you dont
use this in production systems, it would greatly help the Quality
Assurance and Release Engineering teams if you could download it to your
development machine(s) and test. Feedback should be sent to the relevant
lists.php.net group, more information on which lists to use for what
(bugs, qa, dev questions) can be found on the php website.

--
Dan Hardiker [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
ADAM Software & Systems Engineer