Negrea Mihai wrote:

My phpinfo shows in the upper part in the configure line that it has been compiled with --enable-pcntl
I have Apache 2.0 from RH8.0

This seemed a bit wierd so I looked further. From the manual (http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pcntl.php) :

Process Control support in PHP implements the Unix style of process creation, program execution, signal handling and process termination. Process Control should not be enabled within a webserver environment and unexpected results may happen if any Process Control functions are used within a webserver environment.

And.. it works from the command line if I use the php binary

That is where it should work.

So, although it may not be as you expected, all is as it should be.

Regards

Chris