Miro, et al --

...and then Miro Kralovic said...
%
% Hi,

Hello!

%
% I'm just deciding which DB to use for my projects and I'm not clear with one
% thing... When considering a database for web, is MySQL good enough? I read
% it only supports table locking, which is not very satisfying in such a
% multiuser environment as the internet..

You will probably find mysql, just like postgresql, quite sufficient for
your needs; it works for many people in many situations -- very much
including the web.

%
% Based on your experience, what are pros and cons of MySQL and why most of
% you prefer to use MySQL to PostgreSQL, which is aparently more powerful..

Your best bet is probably to check out the mysql and postgresql docs
and see for yourself, as well as check the mailing list archives for
each for posts about the other or comparisons.  I do know that asking
this question on the mysql list will generally return lots of "it really
depends on what you're doing" responses, with a number of "here's my
[often truly staggering] example of how I'm using mysql; are you planning
anything [bigger than, faster than, different from] this today?" and the
occasional "MySQL R00LZ, d00d!!!!!!!" frothing :-)

%
% Thanks for your opinions..
% Miro..

HTH & HAND & Happy Holidays

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"