Say the you are going to create a simple forum and you want to have a number
of classes:

Class Sql - handles the DB interface
Class User - handles users
Class Messages - handles messages

When you are writing the code, you first creates a new sql object in order
to read or write data from or to the database.

Secondly you create a user object in order to handle users, for an example,
to authenticate the user which is going to write a new message in your
forum.

The user object have a method which reads user information from the
database.
 Since you alread have created a sql object, this method should use the sql
object in order to fecth data from the database.

I nice way to do this, would be to send the sql object as an reference to
the user object constructor and store the object reference to the sql object
in the user object.

This is not working very well in PHP yet because PHP cannot treat objects as
references. When you send the sql object to the user object constructor
method, it will be a copy, not a reference!

How do I get around this? There must be a way to handle this and create nice
OOO PHP-code? I don't like using global variables as object handles.

Best regards
Erik