You should check the owner. However, this is not a php question, you should really ask your ISP. You did not even tell what kind of file manager it is.

Alberto Brea wrote:

When I upload php and other files and set the permissions on my ISP's (CPanel) file manager screen, sometimes the new permissions are set, other times they reset back to 644 without my knowing (so a visitor is unable to access the website, as the php scripts don't execute), and others the screen just refuses to save the new settings.
Could anybody tell me why is this?
Thanks in advance and merry Xmas and new year to everyone.

Alberto Brea