Hello,

On 01/01/2003 08:46 PM, Monty wrote:
Is the PHP mail() command robust enough to use in a little mailing list app?
Sure, it just calls sendmail, so it is just as robust as sendmail as long as you configure it properly.

The app will basically send an HTML or Text e-mail to the member database of
about 6,000 people. I'm using RedHat Linux 7.2 with PHP 4.2.2, by the way.
I'm concerned I'll bog down my server if I issue the mail() command 6,000
times on our server, but, maybe it won't be a problem?
Since you used RedHat Linux, the default mailer is sendmail so you need to configure the deliveries to just queue a single message without attempting to deliver them right away. You need to put all recipients in Bcc: to just need to queue a single message. It is very fast, think about just a few seconds. You probably take more than that extracting the addresses from the database.

Also, although I'm sending HTML e-mail, I'm not including attachments or
inline graphics (only direct hotlinks to graphics on a web server). Will
mail() still work okay for this, or do I need to use one of the various PHP
e-mail classes available to send HTML e-mail?
Yes, but HTML messages need to have an alternative text part or else spam filters may reject it. So it is always recommended that you build your system on existing components that have been throughly tested to compose messages adequately.

In that case you may want to try this class that lets you compose and send messages not only with alternative text and HTML parts but also embedded images for the HTML part if you want and attachments.

Since you need to use sendmail, there is also a sub-class to make deliveries using sendmail program directly so you can set delivery mode SENDMAIL_DELIVERY_DEFERRED to eliminate the queue time.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos