>      My question is this: is it possible to use
 > autoincrement to generate
 > the id's and still keep them sequential when I delete say,
 > item 3 of 5.

Generally speaking, an auto-increment column will not fill gaps and keep
sequential orders.  Your choice, basically, is to write your code such
that it doesn't matter if the column is sequential or not and then keep
using auto-increment or get rid of the auto-increment bit and control
the column from your code so that you can keep things ordered as you
like.

Having said that, I believe that some SQL servers do have some sort of
"fill" mechanism to help with this.  It doesn't change the fact that you
shouldn't really expect auto-increment to be an absolutely sequential
series.

CYA, Dave