Yes, mysql.so is in /usr/lib/php4. The php.ini file has this in it:

[daniel@p85 etc]$ grep mysql php.ini
;extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=mysql.so
mysql.allow_persistent = On
mysql.max_persistent = -1
mysql.max_links = -1
; Default port number for mysql_connect().  If unset, mysql_connect()
will use
; the $MYSQL_TCP_PORT or the mysql-tcp entry in /etc/services or the
mysql.default_port =
mysql.default_socket =
; Default host for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
mysql.default_host =
; Default user for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
mysql.default_user =
; Default password for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
; *Any* user with PHP access can run 'echo
cfg_get_var("mysql.default_password")
mysql.default_password =

/daniel