I did once read the article on the website about using PHP and Flash.  As we
know, that HTML & Javascript is client side and the PHP is the server side.
The Flash help to bridge that gap by acting as a glue that hold them
together.  So, it is indeed possible for the Flash to contact the PHP server
to get data and display it without having to refresh the web browser.  It's
a really great article on how to do it.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where on the internet.  I found it on Google
in the past.