IP address is not an effective solution.  Anyone can use a 2nd browser on
the same machine.  Also, if for a company with 1000 machine behind the
firewall, they all get one and the same IP address outside the firewall.

"Kevin Stone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
00a701c2bcdd$316349a0$6601a8c0@kevin">news:00a701c2bcdd$316349a0$6601a8c0@kevin...
> You can never fully rely on any information given to you by the browser.
> You can't rely it being accurate or even being there at all.  What I
suggest
> to you is code a solution around the IP address.  The IP address of
course,
> like any information coming from the client, can be tampered with but more
> than likely it's not going to change while the user is browsing your
> website.  Right?  So you just use it as a temporary ID.  Log the IP to the
> database, track the IP's movements on your website, log those actions to a
> database.  That's the best way to do it without having to force the user
> login.  If you're concerned about people browsing from network IP then
code
> a solution using Sessions and track the session id.  And finally if you
need
> to know that a client has 'returned' to your website set a cookie on their
> computer.  I'm sure you'll find ways to elaborate from there.  You can do
> all of this without requiring the user to "login".
> -Kevin

When