I want to give my users the ability to submit a URL to a database, then when
they pull up their page, their photo is included .. what I'm worried about
is them pointing the link to some malicious code or something..

Obviously I can validate the file extension (.gif or .jpg) .. and I'm going
to force the files to be stored offsite -  they dont get to upload anything
to the server.  I'm just a bit paranoid about this, so I'm hoping someone
more security-minded can tell me what to watch out for, what to check, if
I'm missing anything..

Thanks,
Chad