It doesn't sound like you've testing to see where the bottleneck is. I would first recommend inserting some microtime() commands into you PHP code, like around your queries and blocks of PHP code. This will tell you what is taking the longest time and will point you in the right direction.
Next I would look in your MySQL logs to see if you have slow queries or find out what MySQL is spending it's time on.