php-general Digest 27 Jan 2003 09:31:45 -0000 Issue 1847

Topics (messages 133193 through 133228):

can't write and read on/from a file - Apache.exe  access error
        133193 by: phplam

Re: Java call on object causes segfault.
        133194 by: Philip Olson
        133195 by: John Wells

Re: Predefined Variables In Classes
        133196 by: . Nilaab
        133198 by: John W. Holmes
        133199 by: . Nilaab
        133201 by: . Nilaab

Re: Masive mail Advice
        133197 by: Manuel Lemos
        133202 by: Mark Charette
        133204 by: Manuel Lemos
        133207 by: Mark Charette
        133208 by: Manuel Lemos

Re: Mass Mailing
        133200 by: Manuel Lemos

Session Variables
        133203 by: Jed R. Brubaker
        133215 by: Bobby Patel

human language detection
        133205 by: Marco Bleeker

human language detection?
        133206 by: Marco Bleeker
        133209 by: Davy Obdam

Transition Page?
        133210 by: Lee Herron
        133216 by: Chris Shiflett
        133217 by: . Nilaab
        133219 by: Lee Herron

I'm new in PHP
        133211 by: Beogradjanin
        133212 by: Philip Olson
        133213 by: Andy Turegano
        133218 by: . Nilaab
        133225 by: Max Tappenden

Nesting level too deep
        133214 by: Sascha Alexander Jopen

Installation problem
        133220 by: Jean-Christian Imbeault

Re: Files PHP in tmp ?
        133221 by: Max Tappenden

Making a file manager with PHP?
        133222 by: Max Tappenden
        133227 by: Jason Wong

Re: How do you update multiple rows at the same time?
        133223 by: Max Tappenden
        133226 by: Richard Whitney

Re: total file size
        133224 by: Max Tappenden

autoconf bug leads to configure syntax error when running buildconf
        133228 by: Joshua Moore-Oliva

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hello !
I'm in a mess. Please help me.
Every time I tried to write with fwrite or fputs in a file, I get an error
on windows nt sp6 , ie6 from "Doc. Watson" saying that Apache.exe makes an
application access error .
Filesystem functions: is_readable, is_writable,fopen,fclose are ok . I can
create, find,open the file.
versions: PHP 4.2.3, APACHE 1.3
httpd.conf :
   Alias /test/ "C:/Apache/htdocs/test/"

    <Directory "C:/Apache/htdocs/test">
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
----------
example1:
// start buffering the output
ob_start();
$filename = "c:\\apache\\htdocs\\test\files\\mifile.txt";
// output format - either "www" or "file"
$output = "file";
// print some output
print "Welcome to the Matrix, Neo";
// now decide what to do with the buffered output
if ($output == "www")
{
 // either print the contents of the buffer...
 ob_end_flush();
}
else
{
 // ... or write it to a file
 $data = ob_get_contents();
 chmod ($filename, 0777);
 $fp = fopen ($filename, "wb+");
//ERROR IS HERE
 fwrite($fp, $data);
 fclose($fp);
 ob_end_clean();
}

example 2:
//I tried each of the following 5 $filename assignments.
//$filename = "c:\\apache\\htdocs\\mcm\\mifile.txt";
//$filename = "/mifile.txt";
//$filename = "mifile.txt";
//$filename = "c:\\tmp\\mifile.txt";
$filename = "c:\\apache\\htdocs\\test\files\\mifile.txt";
$somecontent = "Add this to the file\n";
$fp = fopen($filename,"wb");
//NOTHING IS DISPLAYED
echo "<br>this is fgets " .fgets ( $fp );
// Write $somecontent to our opened file.
//ERROR IS HERE
    if (!fwrite($fp, $somecontent)) {
        print "Cannot write to file ($filename)";
        exit;
    }
fclose($fp);
---
Thanks in advance
phplam

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Whenever you get a segfault, try the latest
stable release and during compile be sure to
use --enable-debug
:
  http://snaps.php.net/

If the segfault exists here, write a bug report
and include the backtrace:

  http://bugs.php.net/how-to-report.php
  http://bugs.php.net/

This will be of great help to the php-dev team. Also
I believe many changes to the Java extension went
into 4.3.0 so maybe it'll work for you.

Regards,
Philip

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, John Wells wrote:

> Working on getting Java integration going.  I was able to get it to work
> with the online example and can create an object of java.lang.System and
> print various properties returned from there.
>
> However, if I create my own class, I can instantiate it, but if I call a
> method on that class it causes a SIGSEV.
>
> Could anyone provide some insight?
>
> Here's the code and backtrace:
>
> This is with Sun jdk 1.4.1_1, php-4.2.3 on Red Hat 8.0.
>
> <?
>
>     $obj = new Java('com.x.reports.Serv');
>
>     print $obj->getMsg();
> ?>
>
> --- java code stored off of class path in com/x/reports ---
> package com.x.reports;
>
> class Serv
> {
>     public String msg = "THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE";
>
>     Serv()
>     {
>
>     }
>
>     public String getMsg()
>     {
>         return this.msg;
>     }
>
> }
>
> ------------------ BACKTRACE -------------------
> [Switching to Thread 8192 (LWP 9303)]
> 0x402da2cb in java_call_function_handler (ht=0, return_value=0x8114d14,
> this_ptr=0x810d604, return_value_used=1, property_reference=0xbfffdf54)
> at java.c:464
> 464         obj = zend_list_find(Z_LVAL_PP(handle), &type);
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x402da2cb in java_call_function_handler (ht=0,
> return_value=0x8114d14, this_ptr=0x810d604, return_value_used=1,
> property_reference=0xbfffdf54) at java.c:464
> #1  0x40191553 in call_overloaded_function (T=0xbfffdf48, arg_count=0,
> return_value=0x8114d14) at zend_execute.c:953
> #2  0x40194636 in execute (op_array=0x8114b6c) at zend_execute.c:1660
> #3  0x401a40a3 in zend_execute_scripts (type=8, retval=0x0,
> file_count=3) at zend.c:812
> #4  0x401b5aaf in php_execute_script (primary_file=0xbffff450) at
> main.c:1383
> #5  0x401b0aba in apache_php_module_main (r=0x8107004,
> display_source_mode=0) at sapi_apache.c:90
> #6  0x401b18ea in send_php (r=0x8107004, display_source_mode=0,
> filename=0x8107b34 "/opt/apache_1.3.27/htdocs/t.php") at mod_php4.c:575
> #7  0x401b1963 in send_parsed_php (r=0x8107004) at mod_php4.c:590
> #8  0x08074880 in ap_invoke_handler ()
> #9  0x08088c76 in process_request_internal ()
> #10 0x08088cd6 in ap_process_request ()
> #11 0x0807ff9a in child_main ()
> #12 0x0808013a in make_child ()
> #13 0x080802a1 in startup_children ()
> #14 0x080808ce in standalone_main ()
> #15 0x080810ec in main ()
> #16 0x420158d4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Philip,

Thanks.  I did submit a bug report and also compiled with debug.  That's
where the backtrace captured in my email came from.  If you'd like to veiw
the bug report, it can be found at: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=21881

I'll try 4.3.0 and see what happens.  I was holding back because I use the
Zend Debug Server, and it doesn't support 4.3.0 just yet.  But, it will
soo, so might as well.

Thanks!
John

Philip Olson said:

> [...]
>> #3  0x401a40a3 in zend_execute_scripts (type=8, retval=0x0,
>> file_count=3) at zend.c:812
>> #4  0x401b5aaf in php_execute_script (primary_file=0xbffff450) at
>> main.c:1383
>> #5  0x401b0aba in apache_php_module_main (r=0x8107004,
>> display_source_mode=0) at sapi_apache.c:90
>> #6  0x401b18ea in send_php (r=0x8107004, display_source_mode=0,
>> filename=0x8107b34 "/opt/apache_1.3.27/htdocs/t.php") at
>> mod_php4.c:575 #7  0x401b1963 in send_parsed_php (r=0x8107004) at
>> mod_php4.c:590 #8  0x08074880 in ap_invoke_handler ()
>> #9  0x08088c76 in process_request_internal ()
>> #10 0x08088cd6 in ap_process_request ()
>> #11 0x0807ff9a in child_main ()
>> #12 0x0808013a in make_child ()
>> #13 0x080802a1 in startup_children ()
>> #14 0x080808ce in standalone_main ()
>> #15 0x080810ec in main ()
>> #16 0x420158d4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Well, I don't think this has anything to do with predefined variables being
global or not because I only have use for them within the specific methods.
The methods will capture their values and assign them to a variable inside
the function, which will return that variable at the end. The processing of
$PHP_SELF and $DOCUMENT_ROOT only happens in one place. I might be wrong,
not sure. But right now all I know is that I am confused and the link you
sent me didn't help explain what I need to know because it states no mention
of predefined variables. Can you perhaps give me an example of what you are
trying to tell me?

I read about variable scope and it says nothing about predefined variables.
So how will using the $_SERVER associate array help me with this? Remember
that globals is on, so I don't need to use $_SERVER, $_POST, $_GET, etc. to
get my values. But, in the meantime I'll go ahead and try using the
associate autoglobal arrays anyway, like $_SERVER, just to test it and to
see if it works for me. And if it does, it'll bug me until I find out why it
works. Thanks your input Philip. If anyone else has any thoughts or
explainations for me to understad this then that would be great.

>>Read:
>>  http://www.php.net/variables.scope
>>
>>Also note that $_SERVER is an autoglobal.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Philip

Predefined or not, it's still a variable. If you want a variable inside
of your function to have the value of a variable outside of your
function, then you have to make it global. $PHP_SELF inside of your
function has no value because it's relative to the function, not the
script. Just like $a inside of a function wouldn't have a value unless
you assigned one to it. Using "global $PHP_SELF" at the beginning of
your function (or method, same thing) will now make the variable
$PHP_SELF have the same value as it does outside of your function.

> I read about variable scope and it says nothing about predefined
> variables.
> So how will using the $_SERVER associate array help me with this?
Remember
> that globals is on, so I don't need to use $_SERVER, $_POST, $_GET,
etc.
> get my values. But, in the meantime I'll go ahead and try using the
> associate autoglobal arrays anyway, like $_SERVER, just to test it and
> see if it works for me. And if it does, it'll bug me until I find out
why
> it
> works. Thanks your input Philip. If anyone else has any thoughts or
> explainations for me to understad this then that would be great.

$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] will always work, regardless of variable scope or
register_globals setting. The $_SERVER array is a superglobal, so it'll
have the same value inside your method or outside of it, without you
having to do anything special.

Hope that helps.

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
John,

YES! That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the explaination. It helps a
great deal. I had $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] work for me. But I'm still
struggling with $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], because it's not returning anything.

So here's the second part to my question stated earlier. Let's say, for
example, I had a class included in someFile.php. The included class looks
like the class below:

<?php
class someClass {

   function someFunction () {
        $root = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];
        return $root;
   }

   function someFunction2 () {
        $path = $this->someFunction() . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
        return $path;
?>

Shouldn't the value of $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] contain the path of someFile.php
and not the path of the class file which was included in someFile.php? Or
what should this value be? I want the $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] value to be
/path/someFile.php, or the value of whatever page included this class file
and called the methods of the class. How would I do that? Because right now
it returns a blank string.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Nevermind John, it worked! I had $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] spelled as
$SERVER['PHP_SELF']. I appreciate your help!  :P

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

On 01/26/2003 02:17 AM, Maciek Ruckgaber Bielecki wrote:
I'll start to write an application which will be used to send large
amounts of mail to users in a DB. All these mails to be sent shoul be
personalized. Since i understand, and please correct me if im wrong, the
mail() function is not a good option for this purpose. (the amount of mail
to be sent may vary from 50 to 800 messages). I have considered using some
masive mail application such majordomo or EZMLM. EZMLM is not easily
configurable for sending personalized mail, and majordomo requires
sendmail, (i would prefer to use qmail), i know about patches to be done
so it works with qmail, but i dont consider them really clean.

What would you guys suggest ?? should i jump into majordomo - sendmail,
or do you know something else that might be a better solution.
That number of messages is small and with today's servers you can queue that volume of personalized is less than a minute. Your problems will start as you enter in the tens of thousands of recipients, not because qmail won't handle it but because that many message in the queue will prevent the incoming messages to arrive in time.

Anyway, for that volume of messages you may want to try this class that comes with an example of how to send personalized messages to many users. For larger volumes of recipients you can still use the same class but it will take much more time, so to not choke the mail queue, you would better send the messages during a few minutes and then rest for about 3 times the same period before you resume sending for a few minutes more.

For greater efficiency, if possible do not personalize the message body so you can hint the class to cache it so it does not waste time regenerating the message body for each recipient.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

???

There are two separate processes here - the outgoing connections to the
remote SMTP servers and the incoming connections to your own SMTP servers.
Tuning qmail involves setting the number of outgoing queues so as not to
overload your communications line.

I _personally_ have sent more than 300,000 messages with no "resting"
mechanism - doing that means you haven't tuned your qmail system for the
load.

Mark C.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

That number of messages is small and with today's servers you can queue
that volume of personalized is less than a minute. Your problems will
start as you enter in the tens of thousands of recipients, not because
qmail won't handle it but because that many message in the queue will
prevent the incoming messages to arrive in time.

???

There are two separate processes here - the outgoing connections to the
remote SMTP servers and the incoming connections to your own SMTP servers.
Tuning qmail involves setting the number of outgoing queues so as not to
overload your communications line.

I _personally_ have sent more than 300,000 messages with no "resting"
mechanism - doing that means you haven't tuned your qmail system for the
load.
The problem does not have to do with SMTP but with qmail local queue handling. If you send messages to many users and the bounce address is set to some address handled by the same server, you will be starting to get bounces to the same machine and thus the same qmail server. The way to solve this is to put the bounce address point to some address that is handled by a different server or even to nowhere. Using a spare server for the actual delivery reduces that problem too.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

It has everything to do with qmail local queue handling.

I have had no problems when both the VERP address and sending machine are
the same, providing I tune the qmail queues to a reasonable number. VERP is
very useful to handle bounces, no separate machines are required, you just
have to think about your bandwidth.

The way to solve this is use your intelligence. A stop/start sceme as you
originally proposed is a kludge at best to an easily managable problem.

Mark C.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On 01/26/2003 09:25 PM, Mark Charette wrote:
[...]

I don't think you are getting the point of stop/start. If you flood the delivery queue with 300,000, no more incoming and outgoing mail will be handled until all the delivery to all recipients that you queued are handled. That may take hours depending on how hard is to deliver to all recipients.

If you have a dedicated server for the bulk delivery, that may not be a problem for, but if you have other types of messages coming and going of the same server, everything will be stalled.

BTW, if you are personalizing the messages, there is no need to user VERP because you are already sending the messages separately and so you may as well personalize the return path address.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

On 01/23/2003 02:40 AM, Jonathan Chum wrote:
Anyway, the problem of personalizing messages is that makes your
mailings take much longer to generate and queue because you need to
create separate message for each recipient.

I'm weighing down personalization and enveloping for this project, and
probably going for the personalization of each email. This rules out BCC and
enveloping with SMTP.
I always advise people to not bother personalizing messages for silly purposes like starting messages like this:

Dear <SPAM-VICTIM-NAME-HERE>,

The problem is that this is now a pattern of spam that people are so much used to it that they no longer can be fooled into believing that the messages was really written by a human being to them and not some spam script.

It was told that spam detection programs like SpamAssassin give extra spam points to messages that have phrases like that.

OTOH, there are more reasonable motives to personalize messages like the silly decision of Hotmail to have default spam filter rule to reject messages that do not have a visible To: or Cc: header with the recipient address of the Hotmail account.

The decision is silly because it makes it consider most real opt-in mailing lists like this one, php-general, as spam, which is obviously a big mistake.

Anyway, since most Hotmail users with that filtering rule on are not aware, it makes sense to personalize just the To: header with each recipient address. You do not have to personalize the body though. So, I have just added an option to cache the message body between deliveries of the same message to different recipies using this MIME message composing and sending class. See the personalized bulk mail example for more details:

http://www.phpclassses.org/mimemessage

and run it every hour.
With qmail you do not have to run the queue like sendmail. You just
inject the messages and it will deliver them when possible.

If it delivers when possible, won't the server flake if it get's 100,000
emails inject into Qmail? If I was to use your class and loop through
100,000 emails into Qmail, will Qmail attempt all at once?
No, qmail only attempts to send upto a limited number of messages simultaneously which defaults to 20, but if you have good link you can raise it upto 120. Raising it further will not work unless you apply a patch to qmail.

Anyway, the down side of injecting that many messages in qmail queue, either separately or a single message with Bcc:, is that it will choke the incoming message reception because the SMTP server delivers the messages to the local queue too.

There are 2 solutions for this: if you have a spare server machine, use it as relay and configure qmail control value smtproutes pointing to the spare server that will do the actual delivery. If you do not have a spare server, you need to just inject a few messages at a time and rest for a period of time that is enough to let the messages already inthe queue be flushed. Even with a spare server, it is a good idea to rest after delivering a few hundred messages.

In that case, you may consider QMQP relay which is a protocol that lets
you rely entire mail queues from a server to another. This is
recommended when you have many busy mailing lists served from one
machine and you can use more servers do the actual delivery. I think
only qmail and ezmlm support QMQP.

Thanks, I'll check QMQP as well.
If you really want personalization, QMQP is not really useful because it is meant to shift queues of single messages to many recipients. Personalization turns it into many messages to distinct recipients.

The greatest problem that made me learn some hard lessons is that it is
very problematic if you start with subscribers list that are not clean
up of no longer valid users. Once you start delivering messages to those
addresses, you get a flood of bounces that pratically stop your server
queue.

The MTV newsletter was weekly, but that affected the newsletters of
other sites that were stopped during the MTV newsletter bounces. Since
ezmlm does not unsubscribe bouncing addresses right away, the solution
was to remove bouncing subscribers using an external validation
procedure. I used this other class for the cleanup. After that it was a
breeze. We had peaks of 10,000 messages sent per minute.

http://www.phpclasses.org/emailvalidation

We had a 72K list with about 6K bad emails that Mailman didn't unsubscribe
until we used MojoMail which unsubscribes them from the database instantly
as well as perform validations. Now, blasts are handled alot quicker.
That is not a good idea either because you are delisting people that are temporarily bouncing as if their addresses are permanently invalid which is not the case.

So far, you have given me a good case to use Qmail and using your PHP class
as a foundation for this application. . . I'll have to check the other
software recommendations you made and see how'd I incorporate this into the
application.

BTW, isn't there any overhead associating with opening/closing a connection
to inject each email into Qmail? Or it's very minimal overhead to even worry
about? If 100,000 was looped and injected into Qmail, is Qmail fast enough
that 100,000 emails are not just sitting on the server filling up disk
space?
Queueing is fast because you are just calling a local program. Unless you are using a spare server for relay, the greatest problem are those addresses that while they are not invalid nor reject messages, they are hard to deliver like those on servers with slow links or those that intentionally put delays that take many tens of seconds to accept the message to make it harder for spammers.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have a quirky problem that should be a breeze for someone who is smarter
than I.

I have a script where I am registering a HTML form post variable as a
session variable and then echo it. In the real script I use it in a MySQL
query, but for the sake of this post, here is the "script":

$user1 = $HTTP_POST_VARS["user1"];
session_register("user1");
echo $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["user1"];

This doesn't work, however, if I hit the refresh button the var miraculously
appears!
What am I doing wrong?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This variable is registered in the Session, and the variable isn't active
until the page refreshes.  It's hard to explain. I thought I would try.
There are some things you can do. If you need the variable right away, you
can do this:
if (isset($HTTP_SESSION_VARS["user1"])) {
    $user1 = $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["user1"];
}
else {
    $user1  = $HTTP_POST_VARS["user1"];
}
echo $user1;

Hope that helps. This is natural for sessions, but I have been in the
situation where I needed the session variable right away, instead of the
script's next activation.

"Jed R. Brubaker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I have a quirky problem that should be a breeze for someone who is smarter
> than I.
>
> I have a script where I am registering a HTML form post variable as a
> session variable and then echo it. In the real script I use it in a MySQL
> query, but for the sake of this post, here is the "script":
>
> $user1 = $HTTP_POST_VARS["user1"];
> session_register("user1");
> echo $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["user1"];
>
> This doesn't work, however, if I hit the refresh button the var
miraculously
> appears!
> What am I doing wrong?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi, I am creating a bilingual website (Dutch and English) and I wonder how I would best detect the human language of a visitor. I am attempting several things, but I am sure there must be a generally accepted alternative. Can anyone point me to more info?

I am tinkering around with HTTP_REFERER and HTTP_USER_AGENT and a bit in JavaScript which only works with Netscape browsers. But detection usually fails. I was wondering, my server provides a REMOTE_ADDR value, but not a REMOTE_HOST. From the last I could look voor a ".nl" extention. Is there a way to (inline) translate a IP address to something readable? It's a remote server on which I can't control the settings.

Why is this so difficult? It should be a basic feature of any international software... or am I missing something?

Thanks, Marco
--
Marco Bleeker, Amsterdam, NL.
Please do not distribute my email address to a third party

[...]

--- Begin Message --- Hi Marco.

Try the HTTP_USER_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE variable. It simply detects the language of the visitors browser. It wouldnt work for my cause i use an english version of Mozilla (i am dutch too), although 90% of the dutch visitors probably uses MSIE in dutch eh;-)

Best regards,

Davy Obdam

Marco Bleeker wrote:

[...]

Davy Obdam - Obdam webdesignŠ
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   web: www.davyobdam.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm interested in how most would create a transition page..

I have an upload process that takes a bit before it changes the page
displayed on the browser.  I would like to create a transition page
[Uploading Now .. please standby] that would refresh to a result page once
the upload is done.  Now I've seen this done on other sites (loading pages)
and I'm sure there are many ways to do this, just looking for methods and
pro/cons to the various approaches.

thanks..

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
--- Lee Herron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm interested in how most would create a transition
> page..

One thing you might consider is using flush() to output
what you have so far to the browser rather than sending
them to another page when you're done. An example of
something to output might be:

<?
flush()
do_hard_stuff();
?>

If you are using output buffering, you'll have to flush
that, too. If your Web server is doing any kind of
buffering, it might not work at all.

Chris
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello Lee  :)

Well, there is one way that I know of that some people might overlook. What
you can do is use CSS positioning and set the "Uploading Now" message
(Whether it's text, an image, a flash file, etc.) BEHIND the result page by
setting the z-index value of the "Uploading Now" message to a lower number
than the z-index of the result page.

So what happens in this case is that the user will see the "Uploading Now"
message until the other page or image loads, which will automatically load
on top of the message, therefore hiding it once it's loaded. This works
great with images especially. You may need to use some positioning
creativity to do the same with the html pages, as you have to find a way to
be able to hide the transition message (by another image, a colored table,
or just about anything else.

The good thing about this method is that you never need to create an extra
file just to display the message. You can use it in the same file. Or if you
have to use it on many pages, just include it from an include file or a
function or something. Lots of room for creativity here.

Anyway, that's how I would do it. I'm sure there are many other great ways.
But there's my input. Hope it helps you a little.

The problem I'm having is that the uploading of the file takes time, and the
screen simply sits there while this is being done .. I don't know if there
is a way around that. Flush would be fine if it could be done before the
upload started; problem is, hitting submit starts the upload process which
waits until it's done before receiving instructions included in the upload
processing script.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Zdravo php-general,

  Hi I have setup PHP Apache MySql.
  I;m new in this stuff where can I learn hot to make web pages in
  PHP...???

+++++++Info About this E-mail+++++++++
+Poruka je napisana u 16:24:13       +
+Dana Sunday, January 26, 2003      +
+Files in this E-mail massage        +
+<none>                              +
+                                    +
+Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Beogradjanin wrote:

> Zdravo php-general,
>
>   Hi I have setup PHP Apache MySql.
>   I;m new in this stuff where can I learn hot to make web pages in
>   PHP...???

Go here:

  Learn HTML
  http://www.w3schools.com/html/

  Learn SQL
  http://www.w3schools.com/sql/
  http://www.sqlcourse.com/

  Learn PHP
  http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/2836/fid/51
  http://www.php.net/manual/
  http://www.php.net/links.php

Regards,
Philip

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
www.htmlgoodies.com - The best site for HTML

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Philip Olson wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Beogradjanin wrote:
>
> > Zdravo php-general,
> >
> >   Hi I have setup PHP Apache MySql.
> >   I;m new in this stuff where can I learn hot to make web pages in
> >   PHP...???
>
> Go here:
>
>   Learn HTML
>   http://www.w3schools.com/html/
>
>   Learn SQL
>   http://www.w3schools.com/sql/
>   http://www.sqlcourse.com/
>
>   Learn PHP
>   http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/2836/fid/51
>   http://www.php.net/manual/
>   http://www.php.net/links.php
>
> Regards,
> Philip

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Beogradjanin,

In addition to Philip's links, don't forget that PHP works great with the
MySQL database. If you plan to use MySQL, then go to the following for great
tutorials:

http://www.mysql.com

Remember, PHP can be as creative as you want to be. If you need any help
with anything else, please feel free to come here and ask again.

P.S. -- Philip, thanks for helping out the newbies.
PHP will continue to grow better and bolder thanks to you and others.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
www.php.net/manual
"Beogradjanin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Zdravo php-general,
>
>   Hi I have setup PHP Apache MySql.
>   I;m new in this stuff where can I learn hot to make web pages in
>   PHP...???
>
> +++++++Info About this E-mail+++++++++
> +Poruka je napisana u 16:24:13       +
> +Dana Sunday, January 26, 2003      +
> +Files in this E-mail massage        +
> +<none>                              +
> +                                    +
> +Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         +
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

i installed php-4.3.0 on apache 2.0.34. but whenever i try to display a php
script i got a

PHP Fatal error:  Nesting level too deep - recursive dependency? in Unknown
on line 0

Even the simplest document leads to this error:
index.php
<?php header("LOCATION: ../login.php"); ?>

i know these scripts worked fine with php-4.3.2
today i updated to apache 2.0.44, but i found no changes for this problem.

Does anybody know, what the problem is?

Thx,
Sascha Jopen

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've installed PHP and Apache countless times but it seems I have forgotten something somehow because I can't for the life of me get apache to install PHP as a static module. Argh ...!

I'm trying to get PHP 4.3.0, Apache 1.3.27, openssl-0.9.7, mod_ssl-2.8.12-1.3.27 all working together but to no avail. The best I can get is a mod_ssl aware apache server, but no PHP.

These are the steps I am following. Can anyone spot my error?

# cd openssl-0.9.7
# ./config -no-thread
# cd ..
# cd mod_ssl-2.8.12-1.3.27/
# ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.27/
# cd ../apache_1.3.27/
# ./configure
# cd ../php-4.3.0/
# ./configure --with-pgsql=/usr/local/psql/ --without-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.27/ --enable-mbstring --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --enable-mbregex
# make && make install
# cd ../apache_1.3.27/
# SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.7 ./configure --with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql/ --without-mysql --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a --enable=module=ssl
# make
# make install

I add the following line to httpd.conf and start apache:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

But when I try and load a .php page I get a "Save File" dialog ...

What step did I miss or where did I do something wrong?

Thanks!

Jc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Are they things like
php45a45s879a787g54a21s3a12g3a21s31a3a?
If so, yup i know the feeling
297,548,197 of them using up 128GB of storage on my HD!
Don't worry
They're just sessions
Oh and don't worry
Unless your site is a huge wooper with 500,000 - 1,000-,000 users loggin in
a day, you won't get huge amounts lol
"Nico" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>  Hello,
>
>  I've a lot of files named phpxxxx in my tmp folders ..
>
>  What's these files ?
>
>  Nico

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello there.
Basically I'm trying to make a file manager with PHP.
Here's what I need to do
Ok I have artists and coders working for my site
No FTP
I want them to be able to upload/download files from me as and when they please without having to email me the files
The files that will be uploaded and downloaded are with these extentions
.htm
.html
.php
.phps
.jpg
.gif
.swf
I can scrape together the upload bit, but the download bit just runs the file rather than brings up the download feature of the web browser. How can I make it download it?
TIA!
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Monday 27 January 2003 15:34, Max Tappenden wrote:

> Basically I'm trying to make a file manager with PHP.
> Here's what I need to do
> Ok I have artists and coders working for my site
> No FTP
> I want them to be able to upload/download files from me as and when they
> please without having to email me the files The files that will be uploaded
> and downloaded are with these extentions .htm
> .html
> .php
> .phps
> .jpg
> .gif
> .swf
> I can scrape together the upload bit, but the download bit just runs the
> file rather than brings up the download feature of the web browser. How can
> I make it download it? TIA!

Search the archives > "download files".

/*
Work expands to fill the time available.
                -- Cyril Northcote Parkinson, "The Economist", 1955
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
You on MySQL?
If so do this
UPDATE tblName SET firstcol = '$var41stcol', $secondcol = '$var42ndcol'
and so on
"Steve Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
000001c2c3a0$27591b50$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:000001c2c3a0$27591b50$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am having trouble with this.
> I need to update 1column in a variable number of rows depending on how
> many categories are in my database at a given time.
>
> Can anyone provide any pointers or example code
>

> Steve Jackson
> Web Developer
> Viola Systems Ltd.
>  <http://www.violasystems.com/> http://www.violasystems.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Mobile +358 50 343 5159

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Steve!

Could you be more specific and send some code you are using (even if it doesn't
work).  It may give some insight as to your specific need.

That said, as far as I can tell, what you are trying to accomplish is this:

$sql = "UPDATE tablename SET 1column = '$newvariable' WHERE 1column =
'$oldvariable'";

This will effectively update any number of rows that match the criteria.

Maybe you are trying to update rows where 1column values don't match?  If so,
you may need to run multiple queries.

It's late and I'm guessing.  Good Luck!

RW

Quoting Max Tappenden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

### You on MySQL?
### If so do this
### UPDATE tblName SET firstcol = '$var41stcol', $secondcol = '$var42ndcol'
### and so on
### "Steve Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
### 000001c2c3a0$27591b50$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:000001c2c3a0$27591b50$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
### > I am having trouble with this.
### > I need to update 1column in a variable number of rows depending on how
### > many categories are in my database at a given time.
### >
### > Can anyone provide any pointers or example code
### >
### >
### > Steve Jackson
### > Web Developer
### > Viola Systems Ltd.
### >  <http://www.violasystems.com/> http://www.violasystems.com
### > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
### > Mobile +358 50 343 5159
### >
### >
### >
### >
### >
###
###
###
### --
### PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
###
###

--
Richard Whitney
Transcend Development
"Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
000001c2c34a$0ee9e140$237b7018@JUMPY">news:000001c2c34a$0ee9e140$237b7018@JUMPY...
> With what then? Why not? Should this be a bug filed in their bugs
> database?
>
> - Vic

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am attempting to create an extension to php..  The only problem is, whenever
I run buildconf after creating a skeletion with

./ext_skel --extname=my_module

I receive the following output from buildconf

./buildconf
using default Zend directory
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf version 2.13 (ok)
buildconf: automake version 1.4-p5 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.4.2 (ok)
rebuilding configure
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_COMPILE was called before AC_AIX
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_RUN was called before AC_AIX
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_COMPILE was called before AC_AIX
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_RUN was called before AC_AIX
autoconf: Undefined macros:
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_ACVERSION
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_TRY_DLOPEN_SELF
rebuilding main/php_config.h.in
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_COMPILE was called before AC_AIX
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_RUN was called before AC_AIX
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_COMPILE was called before AC_AIX
configure.in:562: AC_TRY_RUN was called before AC_AIX

Then, when I run ./configure I receive a syntax error part way through..  My
autoconf was 2.53 and got upgraded to 2.57 in case that was the problem...

help!

Josh.
--- End Message ---