I stumbled into this one a short while ago myself. It is not a bug, but a
feature! ;) When passing values of 08 or 09 (Aug and Sep), PHP interprets
them as octal numbers (because of the leading 0). However, 08 and 09 are
invalid octal numbers, so PHP converts them to zero.

The fixes are numerous:
 - remove the leading zero;
 - add zero to them before passing (addition forces a type conversion to
int);
 - force a type conversion to integer using (int);
 - quote them (when PHP converts a string to an integer, it removes the
leading zero);

Kirk