Use several smaller forms and store the results of each into a session
variable.

Also store a "got-results-for-form-1" (through 7) that gets set for each
of the 7 forms.  Once all 7 are set you can do the final processing.

Set the action of each form to say "save.php" and pass in a "saving_what"
field".  save.php can then do a switch on the saving_what field to
determine what needs checking/storing/etc.

Works good for me.