AFAIK, PHP "skips" over anything out side the <? and ?>... so yes,
technically, it would be a little faster.

End of the day, such a small gain could probably be made up elsewhere by
optimising a function you use on every page, or something else like that.

It's been said on the list many times before: Just do whicher you're more
comfortable with, and whichever makes it easier for you to read/write/modify
the code.

I tend to run major blocks of straight HTML outside of php, and little bits
inside PHP using echo.

Justin