I think what you've seen is shtml / ssi / server side includes, but anyway,
since you asked:

1. create a .htaccess file which pushes *all* .php pages through PHP

I *THINK* the code is something like:

<Files ~ "\.html$">
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Files>

But you should check the apache manual, list or some tutorials.

2. change your code to:

<head>
<title>Untitled</title>
</head>
HELLO WORLD!!!
<P>
<?php include("helloworld2.php"); ?>

Why can't you just use the .php extension?

Justin