I am having trouble doing things with PHP such as use the exec, system,
etc. functions. I can't seem to find the correct php.ini to turn safe_mode
off. The one file I did find has safe_mode turned off. When I view phpinfo()
it shows the global column with safe_mode off, but for the local column, it
is on. Is there a local php.ini file for each site? Where would it be?

I need to call a script to run in the background and I want to be able to
use exec() to call it. Is there an alternative way to do this without
bothering with the safe_mode value? i'd prefer to leave safe_mode on; but at
the same rate, I am the only one with access to the server as it is my
dedicated server.

I am not familiar enough with Linux just yet to know how to give permissions
to my sites to use things such as cron which I desperately need to figure
out. I know how to add a crontab for a user, etc.  But when the cron file
runs, I just get a permission denied. I have tried it for both root and the
site user. The only thing that does work is me getting an email stating
permission denied. So I know my crontab file is correct. As far as
permissions, I'm in a cloud. I have no idea what to do to make it work and
maintain a secure system.

Anyone know where some great (free) docs that will show me how to fish
around in Linux? I don't need to be hand fed. Just some direction. Thanks!

--
Nicole