Chris Boget schrieb:
> Why is it that \n gets translated to a _new line_ when in
> double quotes whereas it's displayed as the literal when
> in single quotes?  I checked out the docs but couldn't
> come up with a definitive answer.  If someone could point
> me to the right page in the docs that explains this, I'd be
> ever so appreciative!
>
> thnx,
> Chris

all inside of "" will be interpreted instead of things
between '' will be as is ... and as "\n" means "New Line"
it will do this. If you wish to print out a "\n" then you
have to write it like "\\n".

This is true for all special characters like:
\n   - new line
\r   - carriage return
\t   - tab
\    - escape sign for the special characters
\\   - backslash itself

--
 @  Goetz Lohmann, Germany   |   Web-Developer & Sys-Admin