I was making an aplication few months ago, and i had your same problems. I think that crash because the php file send to the client its to large, and the client machine dont have the necesary memory to suport that in the navigator.
So i chanche my grid to one row of controls, and i put all the information in one html table. If i want to modify the one html table row, i have a link in that row, and automatic the information appear in the controls row and you can modify. So the controls row modify and insert information.

From: "Stuart Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Max Limit of post variables
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:18:51 -0800

I am trying to generate an html form with approximately 3000 post variables
(1500 input type text and 1500 hidden, I am mimicing a grid control).   The
page will handle several hundred but it crashes with more. Is there a limit
to the number of variables that can be sent post.

Or is it possible I am violating some html tag rules  and the browser does
not have a too much problem with the few hundred post variables.

I am using apache2, php4 and Explorer for the browser, however it also
crashes in Netscape (but not as bad).

Stuart