Mh, I don't really know, but I think smarty is even better,
because XSL Stylesheets have to be translatet by an extra
Server Engine, so everything can be translatet into HTML,
so far as I know. So it is not possible to just work with an
standard Apache unless you install an extra XML Module
or special Apache Version on the Server.

Smarty can be used without installing some extra things, I
think. But really don't know either, because I never used
smarty before, just read a little about it ;)).

XML should maybe be used to store Configurationfiles and
Database Content into static files for exchanging the Content
with other Applikations like Quark Xpress or Indesign or
maybe to share it with with Cellphones (Which there is no
need to, because PHP is able to write XHTML).

I don't know if there is an XML/XSL Browser Around or
how the Data could be shown, if I would know I would
start to write all my Websites in XML, if this is possible.

Maybe someone knows a litte more and want to tell some
about.

Have a nice day!

Sascha