on 18/02/03 3:59 AM, Vernon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I'm thinking that the MD5 function more than likely encrypts a password to
> store into a database, and when you log in using the MD5 function it will
> simply encrypt the value being passed along again the same way. Now I'm
> wondering what happens when I user has lost there password and needs to
> retrieve it, there is no way to reverse the process is there?

No, there isn't -- md5() is NOT encryption (a 1 meg file and a 5 character
password will both have the same length md5 value).

You would need to write a script which resets their password, and sends it
to them via email.

If they've fogotten what password they set, then they're obviously not too
precious about it being the same password.  Reset it to something random,
send it to them via email (handy for confirming their email address is still
valid), and let them login with that password, and change it to something
else if they wish.

Justin French