Hi,

Saturday, February 22, 2003, 12:29:36 PM, you wrote:
HP> Im trying to write a poll script that is easy to intergrate into other
HP> documents of a site and thought that since shtml is a much used method, I
HP> want to make it available.

HP> "Hans Prins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in bericht
HP> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with including a "test.php" into a "test.shtml" and
HP> passing
>> a variable to the "test.shtml" which should be processed in the "test.php"
>>
>> the "test.php" document includes the following:
>>
>> <?php
>>
>> if ($HTTP_GET_VARS['theValue']) {
>>     print $HTTP_GET_VARS['theValue'];
>> } else {
>>     print"
>>     <form method=\"GET\" action=\"test.shtml\">
>>     <input type=\"text\" name=\"theValue\" size=\"20\">
>>     <input type=\"submit\" value=\"Submit\" name=\"submit_button\">
>>     </form>
>>     ";
>> }
>>
>> ?>
>>
>> the "test.shtml" document includes the following:

>> <head>
>> <title>poll</title>
>> </head>
>> <!--#include virtual="test.php" -->
>>
>> I've also tried using the POST method but I got an error stating that post
>> is not a valid method in shtml.
>>
>> I have also considered a session variable but since a session needs to
>> initiated or continued before anything is output to the browser that wont
>> work (I think).
>>
>> does anyone have a solution to get this to work?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Hans

POST won't work easily with .shtml files so you are limited to GET and its
length limitations but the following works for me:

//test.php
<?php

if(isset($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING_UNESCAPED'])){
        parse_str($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING_UNESCAPED']);
        if(!empty($theValue)){
                echo 'Value = '.stripslashes($theValue).'<br>';
print'
    <form method="get" action="test.shtml">
    <input type="text" name="theValue" size="20">
    <input type="submit" value="Submit" name="submit_button">
    </form>
    ';

?>

(parse string seems to like adding slashes)

To use post you will have to post to a .php file to do the processing and
redirect to the .shtml file.

--
regards,
Tom