If your server is IO bound and not CPU bound in most cases it will
continue to serve requests as long as the maximum number of concurrent
connections is not exceeded or they don't timeout.

In any case your server should not give a 404 error because of being I/O
bound, 404 means document not found, they may be mistaking it with a
server too busy error message.

Jason