I understand that website mirrors made perfect sense when this project
kicked off, but these days, you could serve 7.5TB per month for a cost
of somewhere between zero (CloudFlare free tier) and Rasmus's pocket
change.

I have a $20/month Linode instance which can do 4TB/month, so three of
those would make a sufficient DIY frontend cluster, assuming 7.5TB is
correct. There are plenty of other options.

The main problem with mirrors is that you don't have SSH access to the
web servers, which makes it difficult to change or maintain anything.
You can't even control which PHP version is used.

The mirrors are insecure. The small self-hosted sites like
bugs.php.net mostly use HTTPS now, but downloads are still served over
HTTP. GPG signatures are provided, but even for the small percentage
of users who check those signatures, the key fingerprints are listed
on the same mirror server, provided by plain HTTP. I'm sure you know
that the PGP keyservers do not verify a user's identity. Anyone can
make a key for poll...@php.net.

The mirrors are fragile, and when something breaks, it takes human
effort and communication to fix the problem.

Is it just inertia?

-- Tim Starling