I believe your problem with the '1' and the '/' has been fixed in the
latest bzr commit, but I'll experiment more. Further, the reason you
can't load the article without the .htaccess file, is that it is needed
for search engine friendly urls. The "mod_rewrite" module is loaded with
that file.

The fix will be available in 2.2.2, but if you need it immediately, you
can clone the latest bzr branch and replace your 'shownews.php' with the
current revision. If you don't know how to do this, I'll be happy to
help. Just post a question (requesting the file) in:
https://answers.launchpad.net/phpns

** Changed in: phpns

--
phpns SEF url's not correctly forming