Question #40049 on phpns changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/phpns/+question/40049

Cogitat confirmed that the question is solved:
Thanks for poointing me in the right direction. All I needed to do for a
quick fix was edit:

<select name="article_cat" id="category">
                                                <option value="all">All
categories</option>
                                                <optgroup label="Categories">
                                                '.$data['cat_list'].'
                                                </optgroup>
                                        </select><br />

This dropped the editor down far enough to show the category dropdown.

=)

Thanks again!!!

Phpns-team, which is an answer contact for phpns.