On 23 Nov, 09:40, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 23 Nov, 08:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > If you can't manipulate the accept headers can you use the JSONRPC
> > binding which will return JSON formatted messges? Looking at the code
> > it seems that the JSONRPC binding will only handle POST requests in
> > JSON format at the moment. There is a TODO about parsing GETs but  the
> > code from the RESTRPC binding could be used here to get the effect I
> > think you are after. I.e. HTTP params in, JSON out.
>
> That might be a good idea. However at the moment we've already
> refactored and extended the restrpc binding to do this. And we've also
> improved the GET parsing in the restrpc binding, so we are
> concentrating on that one. We're still fine tuning and adding error
> handling (output of error messages in json/xml when exceptions occur).
> I'll publish the code once it's done for your review.
>
> > If that isn't a viable alternative then I don't have a particular
> > objection to adding the path info. I'd like to understand a little
> > more about the problem setting accept headers though as that sounded
> > like a neater solution. What mechanism are you using for making the
> > calls from the browser?
>
> At Tablefinder we use a very very stupidly simple way to do REST JSON
> calls. We just do this:
> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://
> api.two.coreweb.lab.tablefinder.com/v1/Restaurants.php/listRestaurants/
> json?apiClientId=ss"></script>
>
> As you can see there's no way to set the headers here :) The pattern
> is called Dynamic Script Include and eliminates the need to use the
> XMLHTTPRequest object in the browser. It also allows cross-site
> scripting which enables widgets and 3rd parties to access the API even
> though they're not on the same domain as our API.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

Neat! I see why you can't set headers. So yes, if you want the
response format to be selectable from the browser it looks like you've
going in the right direction. If you want to be able to configure it
at the server then the thing to do would be consider adding some
parameterization to the binding (@binding.restrpc json for example)

Regards

Simon