On 16 Mar 2008, at 03:49, Alister Cameron wrote:

In Wordpress, a theme is installed in the /wp-content/themes/ folder, including all dependencies and associated files.

It would make sense for me then to install PHPTAL somewhere in there.

Just after your e-mail Thomas Müller proposed solution that will help installing PHPTAL in any location. I think it's a good idea and I'll add it.

However no matter what I do, all I get is a "white screen of death" (a PHP error of some sort).

Now, not being a PHP guru, I don't know what to do.

You've got a fatal error there somewhere. You can try to enable display_errors or set error_log in ini (or via ini_set()).

If you still get blank screen despite that, it means that error occurs in code that uses @ operator (silences errors). Look for expressions like @some_function_call(); or @require "file"; — these may cause PHP to die with blank screen and no error logged.

The only location I can seem to install PHPTAL is the web root.

You can install it anywhere in include_path. Try modifying it via set_include_path() (see http://phptal.motion-twin.com/manual/en/ #installation)

Also, if I try and add PHPTAL into the code via a "global include" that effects all pages, then it immediately "white screens" all Wordpress admin pages.

I think it dies because it can't find files it needs. Change of include_path should solve it.

PS. Happy to send the code I'm working on to the person who can commit to "secrecy" and to working the problem out with me :)

On the contrary, I'd love if you released the code under free license :)