Since PHPTAL compiles the templates I don't thing you'll get a
performance gain from caching in the session. It could even be slower
since serialization/unserialization is an expensive operation.

Moreover since each visitor to the site will have its own independent
session, for each visitor a cached object will be stored, which by
default are persisted on disk. Not a big issue if you have plenty of
space available but doesn't sound like an optimal solution.

If you need to speed up the application try using an op-code cache
like APC or eAccelerator, they will not only speed up your PHP code
execution (no parsing needed) but also improve the performance of
PHPTAL's compiled templates (which are just plain php files).

ciao,
Iván