I don't think that is possible without seriously hacking a solution.
PHPTAL works by generating a PHP file from the template, this file is
then 'included', parsed and executed by PHP itself.

So to avoid the creation of those file, the output of PHPTAL should be
kept in a variable and then call eval() with it.
Another option is to create a custom stream wrapper for PHP
(in-memory, SQL, ...) and then modify PHPTAL to use the new wrapper.

Both options will severely hurt PHPTAL's performance, much more if you
have a bytecode cache in place (APC, eAccelerator...).

Ivan