Hi Alister,

PHPTAL compiles its templates into native PHP code so the runtime overhead
is very low. I don't know much about WP's native templating engine but I
think to recall it was just some hooks (php functions) being called by the
core. In this case PHPTAL would be a tad slower but not enough to worry
about for the average WP based site.

Regarding expressions to avoid, tales expressions translate quite directly
to equivalent PHP code, so it doesn't matter how complicated the expression
is, it'll be as fast as equivalent native PHP code written by an average
programmer.

One thing to care a bit about is the use of modifiers like the translation
or the cache ones, they add some aditional logic to the runtime execution,
usually meaning disk access, so they should be used with caution and only
when needed.

Running more than one instance of PHPTAL for diferent sections will affect a
little bit the overall performance, if the WP templating system allows it,
check out the "metal" namespace to get two-step/slot functionality.

As for the PHPTAL code itself, it could be further improved by eliminating
the need to check if a template has been already compiled or not, useful
when all templates are already compiled and no longer changed.

Besides all that, if someone bugs you about a compiling template engine
(such as PHPTAL itself) performance, ask first if they are using an opcode
cache like APC, XCache or Zend Optimizer :)

greetings,
/imv