No, I don't get any error messages... All that happens is the external macro isn't displayed. It's such a basic issue, that I have no idea what the problem might be. I mean, if internal macros work fine, then that suggests that PHPTAL is half-working. But the external ones, they just ... don't do anything :-S All rather frustrating.