I'm trying to call the date() function in a tag, but with no luck. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Assume that $data['publication_date'] is defined and sent to PHPTAL
througn ->set('data', $data);

${data/publication_date})" /></p>

I'm getting:

exception 'PHPTAL_ParserException' with message 'Invalid TALES path:
'$ctx->data/$ctx->publication_date', expected variable name' in
E:\htdocs\website\public\library\phptal\PHPTAL\Php\TalesInternal.php:164

I tried this as well, but that doesn't work either because it is
looking for separate paths for both data and publication_date.

data/publication_date)" /></p>