On 08-06-2009 at 18:41:10 Igor Sverkos <igor.sverkos+php...@googlemail.com> wrote:

phptal_tales_myDate() is called at compile time only. It should not return the date (because there isn't any value yet), but code that will generate the date at run time.

phptal_tales() returns code that will evaluate to the value.

return 'date("o-m-d H:i:s", ' . phptal_tales($src, $nothrow) . ')';

Could you explain to me, why I should write and use a custom phptal_tale()
function, when I could do the same by just calling PHP directly (php:
myFunction(value))?

Sure, you can use php: expressions if that suits you.

Expression modifiers are syntactic sugar and allow you to use shorter/nicer expressions in templates. They can have their own special-purpose syntax (you can preprocess/split the expression before passing it on to phptal_tales()).

I don't understand/see an advantage, when I just call a phptal_tales() function, which seems to be just a wrapper...

phptal_tales() is TALES to PHP compiler.

This is another benefit, because with php: modifier you need to use a bit awkward type-dependent syntax (e.g. foo[bar].baz), but with if you use phptal_tales(), your expression modifier may accept simpler "foo/bar/baz" syntax.

--
regards, Kornel