Isn't there some general switch to turn, so that PHPTal always ignores
values that are empty?

To be honest, I find
<input type="text" name="address" tal:attributes="value
customer/address|default"/>

a lot less efficient than the patTemplate syntax (which I used up to
now)
<input type="text name="address" value="{ADDRESS}">

Both have the same result ...