It sounds interesting and an improvement from previous versions.

However, I'd like to see some tutorials putting this to work. When do
you use those things, how can they be applied to improve your
templates and/or code etc...

What PHPTal lacks is this kind of documentation - the manual is fine,
but there are no hands-on-tutorials available.