Hi,

The API looks ok to me, just one thing, since it's not a runtime operation
(in the sense that a php file is generated for the template),  I think it'll
be great if it used something along the lines of Zend_Loader_PluginLoader.

Which basically when setup with paths and class prefixes is able to find
"plugins" in several folders. This would allow to have a set of default
filters in PHPTAL distribution but override them and create new ones easily
just by placing the class files in a directory, not needing to register them
manually at runtime, which once the template is compiled, is of no use.

So -- phptal:filter="remove_whitespace" -- would automatically try to
include and instantiate a class for that filter.

While -- PHPTAL->addPreFilter("remove_whitespace") -- would just store the
name for when compiling the template and instantiate the class then.

Regarding the tutorials, creating documentation is always hard, specially
for OSS projects, perhaps we could use a simple wiki to collect information
(there is quite a bit of information scattered around, mainly from Zope's
implemenation).
By the way, DokuWiki is a great wiki for this kind of tasks.

regards,
/imv