Hi,
I think in that case best solution would be to make TALES more
powerful, but I wonder how much powerful? Should I add math
expressions? String concatenation? Should I allow passing of function
arguments? What the syntax should be like?

Maybe you can find some inspiration from the Nevows tal like template language:
http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk/Nevow/doc/howto/xmltemplates.xhtml

The one thing I've been wishing for more than any other is a better way to handle date formatting.

Maybe

foo/bar EQ baz/quz

foo/bar + baz/quz

Should modifiers work inside TALES?

How do you mark end of modifier's content?

foo/bar + php:foo()

php:foo() + bar/baz

http://phptal.org/wiki/doku.php/improvedtales

Tarjei Huse