If I create the following construct in a template PHPTal will throw an error,
saying that the variable item cannot be found:

The following, however, works just fine:

I realise I can do this, to gain access to the variable anyway:

<tal:block tal:repeat="item itemList">
</tal:block>

But I would like to know the reasoning behind why the variable is not available
in the tal:condition attribute while it is available in tal:attributes. Is this
a bug perhaps?