As part of my integration into Zend Framework, I wrote a replacement translator
service for phptal. you basically just write a class that implements
PHPTAL_TranslationService and then when you create the phptal instance you call
its 'setTranslator' method and pass in an instance of your class.

I assume that the translator service is not actually called at compile time -
only at runtime. Obviously if you use something like Zend you can make use of
memcache to hold the translation keys in a cache (which works very well) but
translating static text at compile time (if it doesn't already happen) would
require deeper modification of phptal.

As an aside, I also make use of Zend's plural support and use a custom tales
modifier to pass in the translation keys for singular and plural and then the
variable with the value used to decide on the actual key to use. It works very
well for me :)

Robert