On 02-06-2010 at 05:10:07 Tjerk Meesters <tjerk.meest...@gmail.com> wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I think it's not so much any problem with
require_once as it is to reduce memory consumption while using the
library. This happens when developers only use 30% of the library and
yet the whole shebang is loaded on every request ;-)

Yes, that's the reason. Large parts of PHPTAL are used only at compile-time. There are optional parts like filters, translation services. There's bunch of Exception subclasses which usually are not used.

I'd like all PHPTAL features to "just work" after you include only PHPTAL.php, but OTOH I don't want to load classes that are not going to be used.

Let me know if you find any problems with autoload.