On 02-06-2010 at 10:58:41 Tjerk Meesters <tjerk.meest...@gmail.com> wrote:

Zend uses spl_autoload_register() as well I believe, so that should be safe.

The main problem I can see is that if there's an existing __autoload()
function, spl_autoload_register() will replace it (as stated in the
manual). I don't think putting the autoloader in a separate file will
make a difference.

This will probably require a change in the major/minor revision
number, so that developers are aware that it may break their code.

That's a good point.

This might avoid the problem in basic case:

if (!spl_autoload_functions() && function_exists('__autoload')) {
    spl_autoload_register('__autoload');
}

but I'm not sure if it's not too hacky.

--