It doesn't work without the cache attribute, in fact that was the reason I
tried
using the cache attribute. I tried putting a span inside the tal:block with the
define macro and set the cache on the span, but that didn't make a difference.

It looks like the caching occurs in the main template file. If I change the
'use
macro' name to content2 I get the error message:

'PHPTAL_MacroMissingException' with message 'Macro 'content2' is not defined in
article_69.

Even if I change the resolve function to output a macro called content2.