I have records in a table that have a "status" field, which contains a status
in 'code' (i.e. "NEW", "PENDING", "APPROVED", ...).

There is no conversion table for the moment

When outputting this, I'd like to convert this status code to some more
human-readable form ('Awaits approval', ...). I have a vague memory of a
suggestion to use i18n: to solve this. But I don't want to make it to
complicated. All I need to translate is this one particular field, I'm not
planning on installing gettext etc. If there is no easy solution, I'd rather
run through my results in PHP first to convert them to the required output...

Any help?