I want my templates to be as simple as possible.
They should not include any logic at all. So I never use php-modifier and I
would also like to avoid some kind of AND or OR logical operators (although
there are the smaller problem...).

But a template needs what I call "state". The simplest example for me is the
odd-even problem:

<ul>
        <li tal:repeat="item items" class="${what to do here, odd or even?}" />
</ul>

The state of the rendering for the li-tag depends on the current item. So
instead of writing php or some complex "a ? B : c" syntax, I just want to have
somebody (model) who decides what to do for the current li.

Of course you can write a modifier for this like
"css-odd-or-even:repeat/item/odd". But I don't like modifiers the way they are
implemented now. That is for two reasons:
1. You have do define something global (function or static method I think?) to
let phptal find the modifier. You can't just register modifiers with the
phptal-object like you can do it with filters or resolvers for example.
2. Each modifier has to parse it's argument(s) on his own.

What I would like to have is an object, which I can call a method on and pass
arguments to.

So I would also say that you should strip the logical operators but implement a
way to pass arguments to a method of a variable within the phptal context:

$p = new PHPTAL('template.html');
$p->oddHelper = new OddHelper();
$p->items = array(1, 2, 3);

<ul>
        <li tal:repeat="item items" class="${oddHelper(repeat/item/odd)}" />
</ul>

I think it would be much simpler to extend the current tal-syntax only to allow
parameters than to introduce logical operators. And it would keep the syntax
simpler.

Kind regards,
Per